I’m not an early adopter of sewing patterns, sometimes it situational and I just have too many other sewing projects lined up and sometimes it’s a “wait and see” (see my Lander pants post up next for more lagging behind the crowd). The blazer from the Mimi G Style collection with Simplicity was no different. I have shopped her sewing patterns for some time and while many of my pattern dollars have gone to indie designers lately, I like the fresh style she is bringing to one of the big pattern companies. I try to take the opportunity to meet the designer behind the patterns whenever possible, sometimes I gain new insight to why they designed something that way and other times it’s just good to talk shop with someone who gets it. Meeting Mimi at the Simplicity 90th anniversary celebration in LA was wonderful evening of talking shop with her and a few other sewing folks I enjoy following on Instagram. Introductions were easier thanks to our mutual admiration of each others Instagram accounts but it’s always nerve wreaking to go to an event solo and meet people. Truly her business savvy is awe inspiring, and her pattern designs are body loving rather than body hiding. That is something I will always get behind.
If you live in a warm climate this is a great piece with the look of a blazer without the thermal layers.
Blazers are intimidating, they are that fine tailored garment that always seems to elevate a wardrobe. It seems hard because it has so many parts and layers, but what happens when you remove some layers and add in new details? Does this make adding a tailored look to your wardrobe within reach? Could it be that you can make this without all the training of Saville Row? The Simplicity 1167 is a sports wear blazer, tank and pants or shorts from the Mimi G Style collection. It had been in my pattern stash for some time. On the surface it had that seeming hard to attain silhouette of padded shoulders and flap pockets but once you dive into the pattern you find that there are some layers and pieces that have been removed to make this a new shape and quick sew. The body of the blazer isn’t lined but there is lining in the sleeves that attach to the partial lining in the shoulders and front collar.
I was participating in a group sewing contest where we all let others choose from three patterns in our stash and fabrics in our stash for us to make something with varying degrees of experience, difficulty and ingenuity. This was a pattern I had in my collection for a few years but hadn’t attempted, why probably in all honesty fear of failure but the last two years have been jam packed. The cornflour blue linen fabric was a find from a local estate sale, one of the many benefits of living in and around Los Angeles is there is no shortage of fabrics.
Our competition scored us on many levels and since I had a few points for a new to me pattern but no other points I decided to try and score with some embellishment. I was looking for decoration and almost shoulder epaulets but being constrained with time I kept it kind of abstract and textural. I had recently learned to create French Knots at Craftaction in a class with Robert Mahar and thought dots and dashes would be a great place to start.
I would have loved some tigers draped on my shoulders but maybe next time.
I made a full bust adjustment as I am a DD and most Big Four (Simplicity, Vogue, McCalls and Butterick) draft for a B. I also added for full biceps because I hate tight sleeves. I traced out the front and back pieces in chalk and left a few inches around so that I could hoop the linen with a cotton batiste backing. I chose a color palette that remind me of the seventies and began stitching dashes and dots (french knots). Since I was free forming it I had to stop and start and look at the pieces to keep the colors and design balanced. I was inspired by the Game of Thrones embroidery but didn’t have the skill or time those works of art need. I was happy with the end result and could have probably kept embroidering if there hadn’t been a due date.
I only ran into an issue on the inset detail on the front collar but there are great Mimi G tutorials for it and those helped. I just fumbled it and couldn’t quite recover (I hope I’m the only one who notices). The sleeve lining is my favorite because it hems the cuff so quickly and I dislike hemming sleeves SO much. I had a single brass button that looked like a yarn knot from one of my thrifting trips that completed the look quite nicely. Even though I’m not a fan of lose facings (I always stitch them down) the lack of lining does make this breezy item. I look forward to making another maybe with a matching short.